Recipe please

on
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Here comes some food pictures again! If you get hungry while looking at the pictures, I hold no responsibility. 

 Hokkien Mee
This was the second time I cooked Hokkien Mee. I tried making 猪油炸 (I hope I got the chinese characters right... if not, you may laugh away) or “zhu yao zhar” which is deep fried lard, but it didn't turn out right. If you've eaten Klang Hokkien Mee, it is NOTHING without zhu yao zhar. In fact, zhu yao zhar is in almost every 大炒 “tai chao” dish. I trimmed some fats (or possibly skin?) off some pork loin chops, cut them into pieces and deep fried them only to realise it's actually not lard hahah. Anywaaaaay. The Hokkien Mee sauce is actually SOOOOO simple: water, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. Sugar, salt and pepper to taste but I hardly use any because the sauces are already quite salty. It definitely didn't taste like what you can get from tai chao (some more no zhu yao zhar T_T) but it's good enough to satisfy some craving for this cheap and tasty Klang food. I don't remember where I got the recipe from but I googled and referred to multiple recipes.

 Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Maggie and I baked this during the weekend along with some Peanut Butter Cups you'll see below. Sooooo good! Except that we think the frosting is too sweet to our likings and we didn't even use the recommended amount of sugar, we used lesser! Gosh I can't imagine how sweet it would be if we were to follow the recipe. And we would have preferred it to be more 'cheesy'. Apart from the frosting, the cake is actually really good. I highly recommend this recipe. She (the recipe girl) made it into trifle but it can definitely be in a cake form, which was what she intended to do initially. Maggie and I didn't have enough round or square cake tins so we decided to bake it in 2 loaf tins and it worked! So we got to keep 1 loaf each which is more than enough for 2-3 people in the house.

 Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut butter is my weakness, good ones that is. We used the recipe from the same girl which we got our carrot cake recipe from. Again, it turned out to be too sweet to our likings. And also we experienced a bit of difficulties here and there while trying to 'assemble' it. It's too long to explain here so I might just make a separate post when I make these peanut butter cups again. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good recipe, but when things don't work out the way you like, you need to improvise and innovate.

 Instant Noodle But Better
Lol at the name. Boil soup with salt, sugar or some chicken stock powder, pepper and sesame oil. Cut some spam (luncheon meat) and carrots and throw them in. If you have some extra vege lying around in your fridge waiting to rot, cut some and throw them in. Grab some noodle and throw it in. We used  this instant Asian wheat noodle called Kan-To noodle which resembles spaghetti + mee sua, which we randomly bought. It's actually quite good! It doesn't turn the soup all starchy like mee sua does, and it doesn't have as much resistance as spaghetti and it cooks faster. Drop in an egg, cook to how you like it, and serve with some green decorative leaf (coriander, parsley, spring onion), a dash of sesame oil and pepper, if you want it to look all nice and fancy in pictures hahaha.

Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers and Shiitake
I learned this from one of my favourite Youtube cooking channels, cookingwithdog. I know wtf with the name but it's a very good channel to learn Japanese cooking! I've never liked to eat capsicum/bell peppers except when it's in pizza but lately I've been enjoying it! And besides these baby bell peppers are so cute, the size is perfect for stuffing. Imagine stuffing a normal size pepper... walao. I would have love it even more if I could cook with all 3 colours of baby bell peppers (green, red, yellow).

Ok that's it so far. Time for lunch. I made some salad yesterday for today's lunch at school. And................................. I'm at home now because I skipped school HAHAHA. Anyway. The salad didn't look very appetizing =.= how can a salad be appetizing anyway, right? Blehhhh.


Be First to Post Comment !
Anonymous said...

hi eevon! i really like reading your blog :) makes me happy!

Ee Von said...

hello kaitlin! aww thanks sweetie :D

petite said...

to make almost similar zhu yao zhar with the tai chao, hv to put the lard on heated pan without oil under small heat and let it slowly "squeeze" out the oil like BBQ plaza. XD.
I tried before to lou with wanton mee! and it's so nice eventhough I know it's unhealthy. :)
NOTE: must be under small heat otherwise it will chao tar before the oil comes out. :) I think takes some times to squeeze out some amount of oil. better do in big amount in one time. otherwise it's like waste of gas.

Ee Von said...

thanks so much yin xian! will try again next time :D hahaah gas is free in my apartment here so no problem with that ;)