Last Saturday after a long day at work Wk and I went for dinner with Maggie and Kai Mun at Rockwell & Sons. Food's great, had a good time. On the way back late that night, Wk was telling me about the next day (my birthday)'s plans. He said he's booked a table at Squires Loft for dinner, it's a place we went to on my birthday last year. He also bought movie tickets in this Rooftop Cinema place in the city. He hasn't planned for anytime before dinner so he said we could maybe have brunch then head out to the mall and I could 'pick' my present.
I knew he's busy with work and I should be happy that at least there's a plan but I'd be telling a lie if I say I wasn't a little disappointed. I was disappointed with the restaurant choice as I was hoping we could try some new place? Also I really didn't quite like the idea of 'picking' my present. That means no element of surprise. Well the entire plan has no surprise to it, I knew what we're doing, when and where we're going, and what I'm getting.
Anyway, I didn't say much about it. He's made the effort to plan so I told myself that I should appreciate it.
So back in our apartment, I was in the bathroom taking off my makeup and doing my skincare routine when the power suddenly went off. It was pitch black. I called out for Wk and he said he's coming. I didn't know what he was doing outside the room, but after about 2 minutes the power came back. So I continued with my moisturiser and stuff and 1 minute later, the power went off again! And again I called out for him and suddenly I heard him singing the birthday song, and I saw glimmering light approaching... it was Wk holding something with a lit candle stuck on it. As he approached me I could see it was a little macaron.
:')
So he turned off the power just so that he could surprise me with this! The first time he turned off the power, he was holding the candle but it went off before he could get to me. He tried to lit it back by using the fire on the stove but because there was no power, the stove wouldn't turn on LOL! So that's why he had to turn the power back on, lit the candle, and turn it off again.
And I thought that was it! But he told me it wasn't. He said initially there's a cake, but the cake 'collapsed'. I couldn't make sense of what he meant by 'collapsed', it sounded as though he baked a cake (*gasp* how bizarre!) and the cake collapsed. But anyway, because the cake failed him, he decided to get macarons.
He was trying to show me the 'collapsed' cake so I followed him out to the kitchen, when he said, "This is what the cake collapsed into", pointing at THIS
I did mention a lot of times (a lot is probably an understatement...) that I'd love to have a Kitchenaid someday but I've never ever meant it as a hint because it's such an expensive appliance! I've even planned to get it next year once I've saved up for it. Looks like the money can be used on other things now ;)
This wasn't the only thing which shocked me. He actually HAND CARRIED the Kitchenaid home all the way from city! And we don't even have a car so it's train rides and walking!
This is not just A standmixer, it is a heavy duty stand mixer weighing almost 12kg. Sure you can easily lift it off the floor, but to carry it all the way home is just crazy! He told me his arms were aching and fingers all numb already. Poor guy :')
Anyway, there really was a cake which 'collapsed'.
So he went and bought this birthday cupcake for me from The Cupcake Family and on the way back, the cake toppled. He was so angry of what happened because it's not as though he knocked or dropped the box of cake anywhere, it wasn't placed in a car or bicycle. It was held in his hands all the way and he tried to be as careful as possible but the cake still inevitably toppled. Obviously the design of the packaging was just ridiculously bad. There wasn't anything strong enough to hold the base of the cake, and to sell something like that is just horrible. What's the use of it being all pretty but not being able to withstand a little bit of travelling?
Because this cake failed, he decided to get the macarons as a backup plan. He even bought them from one of my favourite places :)
Here's how the undamaged side of the cake looks like:
Anyway, when I knew he went all the way to get all these, I was speechless and too happy already. I couldn't be bothered with the smashed side of the cake. The cake looks beautiful, everything looks beautiful, life is beautiful :D
First, the macaron. Then Kitchenaid. Then this cake! Triple surprises!
Ok so this is what MY KITCHENAID (muahaha finally get to say this) looks like on the kitchen benchtop.
If you think the colour is white, oh no you're wrong. Hehe.
I initially did wanted either the White or Almond colour, until I saw THIS!
IT SHIMMERSSSSS!!!
The colour is called Cafe Latte which sounds pretty silly because it's NOTHING like a latte, unless they're trying to compare it to the colour of milk. I'd say it's more of a pearly, metallic-y white. And also, this doesn't come with the standard stainless steel bowl, this is part of a new collection which all come with this clear glass bowl. The only downside to the bowl is its weight in comparison to the stainless steel bowl but other than that, the best part is you can see right through it. You don't have to peek at your mixture from the top of the bowl. You can stand 5 feet away and still be able to see your mixture. Can you do that with stainless steel? ...Yes, if you're a mutant with xray eyes.
Ok enough bragging about my birthday hehe :P I'm still sooooo excited about it! Part of me can't wait to use it, but part of me just wants to keep it brand new and is just paranoid that I'll damage it if I start using it hahaha how stupid.
Be First to Post Comment !
happy belated birthday and congrats on the new appliance! the guy is definitely very sweet ;)
love the cupcake cake too!!!
Happy Belated birthday! kitchenaid wohooo!
I've always wanted the glass bowl!!! So pretty!!!!!
I need a new kitchenaid lol
xin: thank you! hehe he is! :D
Swee San: thank you! woohoo so excited! :D
Maggie: can buy the bowl wan! i might want to get the stainless steel one too
hahahah. yes la.. we know you're a very "hang fuk siu lai lai". i can imagine you're expression when you saw the kitchenaid. very pretty!! (i'm just suprised that it's not stainless steel.. lol) :D
Eh siu lai lai dunit work and got maid wan, i need to work and don't have maid lo! Wahaha there IS a stainless steel looking colour! But no. It's MY kitchenaid, i choose what i want :P
I'm keen on buying the Cafe Latte, but it's so hard to find a good picture of it in print and I haven't been able to find it in store around my area.
The colours vary and you cannot see the "sparkalees", so I was hoping you could post more pictures of your darling stand mixer or email them to me.
Cheers.
Lastly, are you happy/satisfied that this is THE colour that you wanted after all this time? heh
Hello!
The Caffe Latte colour is part of the platinum collection and I believe this collection was Myer exclusive when it was first released, however I've seen it in a few online kitchenware shops now as well as David Jones.
I initially wanted the classic Red KA but decided to go for a more plain colour (Almond was my initial decision) as I wanted something that would match easily with home decor and not stand out like a sore thumb, in other words it has to be a timeless colour! Was browsing when I saw the new Caffe Latte and decided it was far nicer than Almond (which was nice too)!
I don't know if 10 years down the road I would regret my choice but for now I'm really happy with Caffe Latte! I'm not the kind of person who would go for funky colours especially for an appliance so expensive and heavy duty it's not something I would change in a few years time.
But of course colour choice is something very subjective, so it's really up to you :)
Leave me your email and I'll send you some pictures of Caffe Latte!
Hi.. Thanks for your response. My email is ozmerican1972@gmail.com. I would love to see more pics.
I agree.. colour is subjective. My personal preference are the retro colours, but most of those colours seem to be in the basic KSM model with the stainless steel bowl and no flex edge beater! While I do like those "funky" colours, I just do not think I would be happy in the long run. Unless, I won the lottery then I would buy one in every colour. Ha.
I've been to Myer a few times and all I've seen are the metallic blue and red; I did not care for those colours. And from what I could see in your pics, Cafe Latte is definitely my colour. I think :Þ
Cheers.
Mailed ya!
Post a Comment