That morning, as I have mentioned at the end of my last post, I woke up not feeling the best. I suspect it's the cheese we had during lunch at Honfleur. Plus the wind was so noisy the entire night I didn't sleep well. The wind continued through to the morning and it started to shower. Thank goodness we asked for breakfast to be served in our room because the lobby is quite a bit of walk from our room.
| This is my fake 'blissful' face. Actually inside I was feeling like shit lol. |
| View from our room's balcony |
The disappointing thing during our stay at Mont Saint-Michel is there was no tide, and the fact that we have specifically booked a room with bay view (paying extra of course) and seeing no sea water but a grey, muddy land. There were also a few bulldozers doing what looked like maintenance and repair. Nothing wrong with that but it's just not the view we were expecting? Plus the weather was gloomy, cold and wet. I can't think of a worse time to visit, really. Also partly because I wasn't feeling well which spoils the whole experience. The only consolation was it was not crowded with people. Apparently during hot season this place can be elbow to elbow o.O
Disappointments aside, it is a beautiful island. Exploring the village made me feel like I was in Diablo (video game) or something hahaha.
For anyone interested in visiting Mont Saint-Michel, do check the tide timetable - we made the mistake of booking the hotel impulsively because it was at a discounted price but did not realise it's only discounted because there's no tide! There's nothing to buy or eat here except maybe the omelette.
Our hotel room is situated a little away from the town center so it's secluded and quiet. Although a little overpriced for such a small room and tiny bed (And deceiving! Should have told us there's no tide), the location is great, the room in general is clean and warm, and the balcony's beautiful. I can almost imagine how beautiful it'll be if we could sit there and watch the sun rise/set, or the sea water rise and fall. Alas, it was too gloomy for any sun, and the tides just wasn't happening :( oh well.
Grande Rue
50170 Le Mont Saint Michel
+33 2 33601403
contact@auberge-saint-pierre.fr
After checking out from our hotel, we went up to the abbey - the one building that everyone recognizes as Mont Saint-Michel.
| Do they cook human in this fireplace?! So big! |
Sorry ah I don't really have much to comment about the abbey except for it's huge wtf. Clearly being an architect's wife does not mean anything lol. He did go through bits and pieces about the architecture of the abbey with me but all I remember is there's sibeh a lot of stairs to climb and it's freezing inside the building itself. While touring the abbey you get sort of a panoramic view of what surrounds the island - which was supposed to be blue sea but unfortunately it was mud for us wtf but nvm la quite nice too.
For lunch, I wasn't in the mood to do any research as I was still feeling quite shitty and wasn't even hungry. We randomly looked at restaurants and decided on La Confiance. I just had a look at the reviews right now on Tripadvisor, wow, didn't know it's so infamous lol.
| Vin chaud, or hot wine, perfect for freezing weather or for people who enjoy sweetened cheap wine wtf. |
| Omelette a Le Mont Saint Michel - this omelette is in EVERY restaurant in Mont Saint Michel |
| Moules Mariniere et frites, Mariner/Sailor Mussels and fries. |
| Some lamb and chips (forgot what this was called) |
| Traditional apple tart with salted caramel sauce |
So Wk had the wine, and a 3 course set meal of the omelette, lamb and dessert. I only had the mussels which was supposed to be an entree can you believe? How on earth can anyone eat so much?! Maybe it's meant for sharing, I don't know. But then I don't think sharing is a culture in France, people seem to only order for themselves, and it's almost impossible to see any diners not have a type of wine on their table.
I actually like the food, it's nothing fancy but they were tasty. The omelette is a specialty of Mont Saint-Michel. It's got your normal omelette sitting on top of some eggy froth, kind of like under-cooked souffle. They're both light and fluffy but with contrasting texture, do I make sense? The combination is quite delicious.
I do have to agree with some of the reviewers that service wise, it's not the best. Not that we had a bad service, but it looked like they're a constantly busy type of restaurant so the service can be a bit fast-paced, impatient, snappy and not so friendly.
I won't bother with recommending this place not because it wasn't great or anything, it wasn't anything special.
We picked this restaurant because it's got an English menu, and it's one of the restaurants (there were many, btw) which did not charge exorbitantly for the Mont's signature omelette, unlike La Mere Poulard Restaurant - the origin of this special omelette.
Seriously, I am NOT paying an arm and a leg for freaking omelettes.
And that was the end of Mont Saint-Michel. After lunch we drove to our next stop - Saint Malo in Bretagne!

Be First to Post Comment !
Your face is the best already lah. I could hardly tell you were not feeling well. Haha! Think I'm going to Like/Archive your France entry on my bloglovin. Can be made into my reference. :D
Hahah honeymoon mah of course must look good in pics! lol.
Oh feel free to! :)
Post a Comment