Vday '12

on
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
If you're on my FB you probably have already known this news. For those who're not.. or those who're on my FB but not nosy/lifeless people who check their FB news feed every 3 minutes... or those who are nosy as hell and want to know the exact story wtf, here's it!

Yesterday morning when Wk and I were waiting for the train to get to work/school, Colin, our lawyer who worked with us on our application for PR called. From the moment he picked up the phone and said "Hi Colin", I almost could not breath.

When I first came to Melbourne thinking application would be smooth sailing, I was wrong. Things changed, the Australian immigration tightened the rules and it was not as simple as we expected and we faced lots of trouble trying to get things done as soon as we could. Nevertheless, after putting in major effort, we managed to lodge our application around August/September. After that, we've never heard from Colin anymore. It's time to wait. No news from immigration to us, no news from Colin, no news from nowhere until yesterday.

Lots of people told us waiting is normal, "No news is good news" because ultimately, you'd rather wait than be informed that your application has been rejected. That only means you'll have to pack up and get the hell out of Australia.

So anyway back to the call from Colin. Wk spoke to him and I was sitting beside him... my mind was completely blank. I didn't know what to think. At the beginning the call sounded serious... there was no indication whatsoever and I was damn freaking nervous. In my mind I was thinking "Oh shitohshitohshit......" Lately things happened and I have not been thinking very positively... including this time.

And then, I heard something like "Oh I see, that's great! So everything's settled now?" With a smile on Wk's face. That was the sign of approval to me and immediately, I calmed down. But still, it could mean anything. Yes or no. 

When Wk hung up, he broke the good news to me. 

Our application for the visa has been granted.

I literally went "WTF". 

And I can't remember how I reacted afterwards wtf. But all I remember is my stomach was feeling funny when I was walking to school. It's as though my tummy was filled with so much of happiness that it wanted to explode lol.

I called my mom and told her and she congratulated me. I called her at 7.30am Malaysian time in her office because I knew she'd be there. She's crazy, she gets to work at 6.30am because she said she hates traffic congestion. And she likes to get everything done before the business runs. She's awesome like that.

Called my dad at a later time because I was busy the whole day... but apparently my mom already told him lol. With my mom, news travel like a lightning hahaha. I called home and spoke to my grandma and she knew too lol. 

Ok technically, nothing much changes. Doesn't mean I get cheaper price for things, or pay cheaper fees if I study. It's just that with this status, a lot of things can be processed easily because I am allowed to stay indefinitely. And also because we've been planning this for years, I'm not even exaggerating. Years. It felt so... indescribably amazing when it actually happened.

So yesterday to celebrate, we decided to eat out and watch a movie :) 

We didn't have plans prior to this good news, yeah it's Vday but come on. We've had nine freaking years of Vdays already lol and we're not the kind who care for Vday anyway. We initially only planned to stay home but obviously, we HAD to get out and celebrate when something so great happened.

Wk got a place at Movida Next Door at the last minute (right after working) but because he couldn't get me on the phone when I was on the way to the city (with grandma on the phone my goodness she couldn't stop talking hahaha), it was canceled. Everywhere else was fully booked because obviously, it's Vday. Lucky us, we managed to get a table at White Tomato, a decent Korean place. It was one of the most relaxing meal ever to be honest. We have so many plans for the future but it didn't make sense to invest when our status was not even assured. Now, it's as though a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders.

Cinema wasn't as packed. I guess people here prefer to have dinner on Vday. We watched This Means War.


I must say at 35, Reese Witherspoon still looks as fresh as she was in Legally Blonde. Chris Pine... meh, typical. Tom Hardy + British accent is SO FUCKING HOT. Excuse the profanity but I cannot help it. It's a great comedy but I didn't like how it ended - who she picked. It's like saying nice guys will always stay behind, only jackasses can get the girl. What a big steaming pile of BS. Seriously who would like a guy, who pretended to like dogs just because you like dogs, and adopted one just to impress you? Hello? It's a life, not a toy. I'm Team Tuck! Who's with me??

How was everyone's Vday?
Be First to Post Comment !
xin said...

congrats on getting the visa! :D the best gift ever, and a valid reason to call for celebration :)

Ee Von said...

thanks! exactly, what good timing :D