Yesterday the salon was so quiet it wasn't even funny. My client didn't show up, the whole day was just spent mucking around. One thing achieved is I've passed my manicure and pedicure final questions (like an oral test). So now I am officially a semi-qualified manicurist and pedicurist!
Today I tried to get a final for a body massage - not oral test, we need to first pass the practical part (performing the treatment) before we get to the oral test. When I was done, the teacher was away for lunch. When I came back, I was filling out stuff in my book and the teacher came in and asked if I've had lunch, to which I replied yes, and she asked if I could do a pedicure, to which of course I had to say yes? I mean if you're working in a real salon how can you say no, right? That's like saying "no" to a job wtf. Anyway, I quickly went and set up and when I was about to get started, the teacher told me "Just wanted to get the pedicure out of the way. Once you're done with it, I'll give you feedback on your body massage."
Usually the teacher would let me know if I've passed or not right away. Well, usually if I've passed, they'll let me know straight. If I didn't, usually they'll give me 'feedback' to why I didn't. So I was feeling quite deflated when I was doing the pedicure thinking I've failed but well, life goes on. I can always try again, I know.
After the treatment I sat down with the teacher to get my 'feedback'. The first thing she asked me was, "So Ee Von, how did you think you went with the treatment?". And I honestly replied saying I thought it went quite well, everything was good. And she gave me her feedback and I gave her my opinion and yadda yadda yadda. In the end, she told me "Yup, I thought you did well too. So go home and study, we'll do your (final) questions tomorrow."
In short, I passed.
Words cannot express my relief. Seriously. Suddenly I find myself relating well to a saying that goes in The Hunger Games. Can't remember the exact words but it goes something like having a little hope is good, having too much hope is bad. Something along that line.
Hope drives you forward. Too much hope can mean so much disappointment. But above it all, try and fail, but don't fail to try.
I now sincerely regret not going to school enough at the very beginning, I could have progressed even more at this stage. I could have crossed out a few things I had to do, and made time for other things now. But what's done is done, as long as right now I am at the right pace catching up. Every day I'm at school, I learn something new. Even if there's no clients, I miss nothing. But every day I'm not at school, I'm at risk of missing something - a chance to gain competencies, a chance to gain finals, a chance to learn something new.
Hopefully I'll be done by this June before the besties come over to Melbourne for a short getaway. Just a tiny hope, to which I shall work hard on.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment