Foodventure: Gingerboy Melbourne

on
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Gingerboy is a restaurant serving modern Asian cuisine. Lenny first introduced me to it but I've never got around to trying it until Maggie decided to make a booking for yesterday, and the dinner was 4 hours before her flight home to Malaysia! Crazy, crazy girl lol.

We started off with their snacks and street food selection.

Son In Law Eggs, Chili Jam and Asian Herbs
I've never known what a Son In Law Eggs was until I saw it on Masterchef. I attempted to make this once, and it turned out to be pretty easy! The egg was pretty much the same... come on. Its just eggs. No fancy schmancy thing can go on in an egg can it? The chili jam was different. It was really mild in terms of taste compared to mine which was really tangy. It was mild but the flavour was really good nevertheless.

Tempura Oysters with Shredded Iceberg and Prik Nam Pla
This one was faultless in my opinion. I love oysters anyway, particularly the raw one. Even though this was fried, the oysters were still really succulent and tasted semi-raw. Prik Nam Pla is basically a condiment made of fish sauce and chili.

And here are the mains.

Green Chicken Curry with Okra and Fried Egg
Not the authentic type of green curry with lots of heat (in fact, I didn't sense any heat at all...) but the curry sauce itself was very flavourful. I could easily eat that with the okra and without chicken. And this is coming from a person who dislikes okra.

Crispy Singapore Noodle, Spiced Vegetables, Soy and Sesame
When we were having the curry all of a sudden a waiter put this on our table in a hurry and we heard him say its "on the house" or something along that line. Thinking it's complementary, of course we dug in.

I didn't quite like it actually. The fried noodle tasted very much, if not exactly like raw 'yee mein'. The spiced vegetables (capsicum, beans, eggplant) were so soft and mushy. The sauce was alright but that was it.

Top: Red Braised Pork, Pickled Papaya, Pineapple and Coriander Relish.
Bottom: Caramelised Ox Cheeks, Peanut Sauce, Hot & Sour Coconut Salad



Pork was a little chewy, don't know if it's meant to be like that though. The pickled papaya salad and the coriander relish was packed with so many flavours (sweet, spicy, sour), it literally gave me a punch in my mouth when I took a spoonful of it.

Ox cheeks... I don't know. I've never had ox cheeks before. The texture tasted like ordinary stewed beef, so soft it comes apart in strings. Peanut sauce was not hot nor sour to me, and I didn't even realise there was coconut. There was a whole bunch of raw beansprouts though. The whole dish was alright, wasn't mind-blowing to me.

We also did order a Steamed Silken Tofu with Asian Mushrooms and XO Sauce and for unknown reasons, it didn't make it to the table. Instead, we got the Singapore Noodle which we thought was complementary until it came out in the bill.

Of course we sorted it out with the people and managed to get the right bill. It was overall a pretty good experience, definitely worth the try.

And since I knew I was gonna go have some fancy dinner, I decided to doll up.


My smokey eyes, chiseled features and pale lips make me look so stoned haha.
Be First to Post Comment !
plue said...

your smokey eyes look so clean! as in it doesn't look dirty or weird or anything, i wish mine could turn out like that >.<

nana said...

this post made me so so so hungry!
your makeup is lovely too!
x

http://nanakkii.blogspot.com

Ee Von said...

plue: hehe don't give up, keep practising! i've gone through that dirty smokey eye phase before :D

nana: thank you! <3