For the past 2 weeks

on
Monday, April 16, 2012
Long time no blog! Here's a pictorial update of what I've been up to besides school:

Tried innovating and recreating a golden sweet potato dessert I absolutely loved from a Beijinger restaurant in Shah Alam. Used purple sweet potatoes instead because I think the colour's uber intriguing for a dessert. By the way do you know how outrageously overpriced purple sweet potatoes are here in Melbourne? Totally outrageous. And do you know purple sweet potatoes are white when unpeeled, yellow sweet potatoes are dark purple when unpeeled? I didn't, haha. Anyway, my dessert didn't meet my expectation. It wasn't as smooth and creamy but I will keep working on it to find out how.

Ever since I was introduced to 流沙包 lao sha bao by Maggie (the foodie, haha it rhymes!) I was hooked. Not to be mistaken with 奶黄包 nai wong bao, also called sweet custard buns, that one uses different type of custard and doesn't 'drip'.  Lao sha bao basically is a bun with melted salted egg yolk custard - SUPER GOOD! But it has to be melted completely to the point that it drips when you tear the bun in half, hence the name. I managed to find frozen packs of this in an Asian grocer and it's pretty close to the good stuff we get from the dim sum place we frequent!

Found another place which serves yummy Malaysian food - Grand Tofu! We had Fried Kuey Teow and Yong Tau Foo with curry soup which tastes exactly like laksa soup base, in a good way! And it's so near our place, only 1 train stop away!

Tried hair chalking after seeing it on Youtube. It works! Basically you take chalk pastels and rub it in your hair and tadaa! Instant washable coloured hair! But you gotta spray it with damn a lot of hairspray to hold it in place otherwise it gets everywhere, even on your fingers when you brush your hair! And it's really really drying to the hair as well. Will only recommend doing it for a special night out, and only do it to pieces of hair or the tips. It's too drying, not to mention super mafan and messy to do the whole head. 

Had barbecue on Sunday night with Maggie and Kai Mun. That pit seriously needs to be made more use of. It's literally sitting in the balcony collecting dust.

Made jap chae (first time!) as a side for barbecue. It's actually really easy to make! But uses a hell lot of sesame oil and soy sauce it's not even funny.


And finally the grand finale...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! 

Now I won't have to hog Wk's phone to take Instagram pictures or do whatever. Hopefully with a new gadget like this I'll be more diligent in blogging? Haha. Hopefully...
Be First to Post Comment !