Market finds

on
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Yesterday we went out for dinner with Michelle and Alvin. We wanted a place that is cheap so we picked this Korean place that looks pretty shabby from the outside lol. Michelle said it's not bad so we decided to give it a go. When we looked at the "Mains" which comes with a rice and a side dish, it was priced at around $12-16, which we thought wasn't that cheap actually. We went on and ordered a main each anyway. Honestly, I thought it was a single-serving dish and so did everyone. Wk's plate of Chicken Bulgogi with Cheese was the first to be served and when we saw it... our eyes bulged and our jaws all dropped.

IT WAS MAAASSIVE OK!

Look at the abundance of cheese! And X 4 for the four of us wtf. We ordered different stuff but they were all equally humongous! They tasted pretty good too. The place is called CJ Lunchbar if anyone's interested. Cheap but generously portioned, tasty stuff. I had the Spicy Beef Ribs (Galbijjim) and I loved it.

The other weekend when we were at the market in Footscray we spotted these pomfrets! I grew up with pomfrets. The sight and taste of it instantly reminded me of home. Unfortunately we couldn't find the big ones, these were small pomfrets which are usually better off fried. But it was still good to have since I haven't had it in a while now. Super easy; clean the fish (intestines), season it, simply steam it with some spring onion and ginger, pour the sauce over, crisp up some chopped garlic and then drizzle the hot oil with garlic over the top. This step is extremely important, I find that doing this pushes the sauce and the chopped spring onion to a whole new level.


That same day in the market, we were looking for some fish fillet when we spotted this tray of fish steaks going at only $5. I think these were baby mackarels, not sure but whatever. They were actually quite fresh for only $5. I panfried them after seasoning them with salt and pepper and coating them with a little bit of cornflour. Then quickly stir up some sauce and chopped spring onion and drizzled over it. The amount as a main served with rice was enough to serve 4!


Omg did I sound like an aunty talking about buying cheap fishes in market??? Lol.

Lastly, what else but a dessert.


This is my 3rd attempt at lemon meringue tart(lets) now and I'm still not happy with the way they turn out. The first time I made it, the pastry was as hard as rock, the curd was spongy?! The second time, everything was good, good curd, good flaky pastry but I oversalted the pastry it was disgustingly salty. This time, I decided to be lazy and entrust the pastry bit to premade frozen shortcrust pastry. I followed the cooking time in the instructions behind the packet, but the freaking pastry didn't cook enough. -.- AAAAAGH. 

I think the next time I do this I shall do it with limes since I prefer the taste of limes anyway. And originally this was supposed to be in a pie or a big tart shape but I only have little tartlet tins so have to go with that hahaha.

Ok time to finish up my assignment and clean my makeup brushes because I am supposed to do a photography makeup unit tomorrow! Yay can't wait :)
Be First to Post Comment !