NYE 2012

on
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
I finally got to know how it feels like working 5 consecutive days in a week. I have only one word for it, EXHAUSTING. I know to most people they'd go, "Pffft work 5 days only complain so much. I work 6 days since forever!" If you come and be in my shoes I bet you won't laugh at me the same way. 

I stand almost all day at work, and not only that, for most of the day I use my entire body strength to give massages, lift heavy towels, brisk walk around (because running looks silly) trying to get everything done on time (one of the most crucial requirements in this field), in short it's very physically demanding to say the least. Some days I don't even have time for toilet breaks, a sip of water or even lunch. On top of that my brain has to constantly be thinking of retailing and rebooking opportunities, how long I can spend on each component of the treatments, what I've got to prepare for my next treatment. And of course not forgetting this is a customer/client-based business, some days you will have to face shitty people and all you can do is give them a punch in your imaginery world but in reality, smile and just suck it in and pray that time goes by as quickly as possible. 

All in all, its both mentally and physically draining. I'm not complaining, I do prefer myself to be constantly moving around rather than sit by a desk all day, just want to point out that doing it 5 days consecutively is really quite a task.

Ok work aside, since the last post was seriously lacking in pictures, here's a post to make up for it. And what's Ee Von's blog without some tantalizing food pictures? :p


On New Year's Eve Maggie and I together with the blokes whipped up a feast! After both disasterous roasts on Christmas Day 2011 and New Years Day 2012, we came to a unanimous decision of NO ROASTS this year lol, just be practical and do some simple dishes. Pipis, snapper, chicken and kailan (Chinese broccoli). 

For those of you who don't know what pipis are, they're basically clams (lala) but slightly bigger and with thicker shells. Quite easy to prepare. It's done when the shells open, just like cooking any other marine molluscs.

Pipis in XO sauce. XO sauce is very flavourful by itself. All we need to do is just saute with some garlic and ginger, add some condiments, then lids on to steam the pipis till they're opened.

Teochew style steamed snapper. The 'fish liquid' is flavoured with the ingredients used in the dish resulting a savoury and sour sauce, not 'fishy' at all. Probably because our fish was fresh. Really easy to prepare too. Spring onion, ginger, fried garlic with garlic oil, pickled mustard, sliced Chinese mushrooms, tomatoes, silken tofu, a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Steamed for approximately 10-15 minutes.

This was something I looked forward the most to it tasting really good but in my opinion it tasted the least impressive compared to the others. We were trying to make Clams with Chinese Wine and Ginger but the soup turned out really salty, plus lacking in the wine and ginger aroma. The strange thing is we didn't even season with any salt, but we did use quite a bit of Chinese rice wine and after skimming through the ingredients list, it's predominantly made of rice and salt. Not sure if we're not supposed to cook the wine and instead splash it at the very end of cooking, or not use so much of wine.

San Bei Ji or 3 Cups Chicken, one of my favourite chicken dishes and it's made of whole chicken breasts. I've never liked chicken breasts except for this dish. So tender! I came across this Youtube recipe and it's the best everrrr.

Kailan with oyster sauce. I think these are baby kailan, not sure but these are the more expensive type of kailan compared to the bigger ones. It was soooooo fawesome! (no it's not a typo, the f is there on purpose) Basically the kailan is boiled in sugared water until just cooked (about 30 seconds), then the sauce is drizzled on it. Sauce is made of oyster sauce, light soy, chicken stock, sugar, pepper, fried garlic, sesame oil, Shao Xing wine, water and cornstarch mixture to thicken. They taste exactly like in Chinese restaurants!

And how can a feast be complete without some fancy drinks, right? None of us are into alcohol so we made this mix of ribena, soda water and canned lychees. Perfectly refreshing for summer time!

Ok a picture of myself to take a break from all the food wtf.
 
Fringe has finally grown and I no longer feel like I look stupid with it wtf. Can you see that massive pimple on my right chin near the corner of my mouth? That was one of the worst, angriest pimple I've ever gotten. Obviously I have makeup here so it doesn't look that horrible. It was so massive and red but it wouldn't erupt at all for 2 solid weeks. I've erm... taken care of matters and now the bump is cleared of nasty organisms leaving behind what looks like a scar, which has been there for a week. T_T Hate how these scars stay forever.

Ok last picture!

Maggie made some buns and gave me some. The top 2 are Japanese Coconut Custard Buns and the bottom is obviously Po Lor Bao (Pineapple Buns). If you've never had Po Lor Bao you're seriously missing out. So yummy! I mean both Po Lor Bao in general and her buns. We were both discussing about our woes of our Kitchenaid heating up whenever we knead bread doughs. Silai betul. And her breadmaking craze got me interested too! Made something yesterday but I think that's enough of food pictures for today, will blog about my bread in the next post.

Ok time to do some chores. How sad. Doing chores on my day off work T_T


Be First to Post Comment !