A week ago it was a certain special day for Wk and I so we decided to have a more fancy dinner. I wasn't bothered to go anywhere far and we weren't bothered to go anywhere popular cos it will most likely be crowded, so we picked Shoya. We initially already decided to have the Chef's course meal which is like a set meal, but after looking through the a la carte menu I wanted to try everything! Lol.
For appetisers, we had the Unitama - scrambled egg with sea urchin, topped with fresh salmon caviar. Never had sea urchin before. It was delicious, but don't think there's a lot of sea urchin in there? I don't know. Maybe I was expecting a more significant unfamiliar taste of the sea urchin, which wasn't present. The salmon caviar was good! I've had it once in Malaysia and let me tell you, it sucked. I think maybe because it wasn't fresh, it tasted so 'fishy' that it made me want to puke.
My fancy drink of the night, Shochu Lime Bitters, like Lemon Lime & Bitters but with Shochu. I'm not a fan of alcohol but I love Lemon Lime & Bitters. I like it, it's a little sweet and the alcohol was not overpowering.
For entree we had the Deluxe Entree - premium sashimi cuts served in an ice bowl. How cool looking is that ice bowl?! It was entirely made of ice! And the sashimi was so good too! The cut was excellent, the fish was fresh. You know it's good when it doesn't make you feel sick after eating a few of it, which can be the case for lousy sashimi.
Another entree, good old Chawan Mushi because Wk loves this kind of steamed goodness. Nothing fancy, the egg custard was really soft and smooth. I found it to be a little bland though.
One of the mains we had was Maguro Steak - tuna fillet steak sprinkled with thinly sliced seaweed with special home made sauce. Delicious.
Tempura Moriawase - assorted tempura with prawns and variety of vegetables. Pretty self-explanatory.
Kurobuta Rosu Katsu - breaded black hair (Berkshire) pork loin with sweet red miso and Japanese BBQ sauce. It's delicious but it's not that I can tell the difference in taste between a normal pork and a Berkshire. It's very juicy though, probably because there's a lot of fats in it haha.
Lastly, Dessert Platter of Sea Urchin Cheesecake, Kurogoma Panacotta (sic), and Umeshu Chocolate Cake. This is easily my favourite part of the entire night. Look at the magic in the plate! How can anyone not like desserts?? I especially like how each dessert is accompanied with summer/autumn fruits or nuts.
Umeshu Chocolate Cake with walnuts, almonds, and (I think) chocolate sauce. The chocolate ganache (or mousse?) layer was so smooth and rich. So good!
I was a little hesitant but curious at the same time at the Sea Urchin Cheesecake but the waiter said he likes it so I decided to give it a go. It's served with a variety of berries and a drizzle of cream. So pretty! If you're wondering how it tasted like, well, it tasted just like any cheesecakes. Although I'm still unsure how sea urchin tastes like, I'm sure I didn't taste anything significantly unfamiliar in the cake.
The Kurogoma Panacotta (sic) - black sesame panna cotta covered with soy bean and green tea powder was my fayyyyy-vourite (must accent this word to show my excitement) dessert in the platter. Poeple who know me will know my love for sesame, black or white, I'm not racist HAHA ok not funny. I love panna cotta for a start, I love how bouncy the pudding is with a light, smooth texture. Black sesame panna cotta? GENIUS. And it goes so damn well with the soy bean and matcha powder too, drizzled with caramel and served with autumn fruits such as grapefruit and orange segments, grapes and kiwi.
By the time the dessert platter was served, we were quite stuffed. But we managed to finish everything on the dessert platter because it was that good.
This place is pretty expensive, but for the ambience, service and food quality, it's definitely worth going for a celebratory meal.
Be First to Post Comment !
Damn, this looks so good - how come I didn't know about this place when I was in Melbourne?? :O Gotta put this on the list of places to try next time I'm there!
haha you need the Urbanspoon app!
Post a Comment