I'm on Dayre!

on
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
So for the past week, Wk and I have been making our best efforts to limit eating out to a maximum of 2 meals a week. We were doing pretty good when I first came to Melbourne and haven't started working. For the past few months (or possibly year?) I have been getting more and more lazy and we were eating out quite often. I always blame it on work and feeling tired and blah de blah but truth is, it's just the lazy bitch in me taking over wtf. The harsh reality is it's a very expensive lifestyle to keep up with and with a wedding coming up plus looking for a house to buy AND all the other commitments we have to maintain, I decided that this eating out needs to stop right away.


I've recently downloaded Dayre (saw it in Dorcas's blog), it's like Twitter/Instagram but with a lot more words for you to type! By the way, it's pronounced like the word 'diary'. When I didn't know this, in my head I was reading it as "Dere" pronounced like "there" with a D hahaaha anyone else did the same??


So yah, it's like a blogging app for your smartphone. I needed something to motivate myself to cook everyday so I take a picture of every dinner I made and talk a little about it on Dayre. At the end of the week, I look back and feel so happy that I managed to accomplish it! It's also a great way for me to keep track of what I cook so I don't keep doing the same thing. Broaden my horizons a bit (wtf do aunty stuff like cooking also can try to sound intelligent hahaha).


Btw if anyone wants to follow me, my username is choieevon. (By anyone I mean the meagre 5 people who read my blog hahaha)


So here are things that I have been cooking for the past week. I try to cook dishes which incorporate veggies in it so I don't have to cook 2 separate dishes (lazy bitch syndrome lol). And I try not to cook rice everyday as well cos it can get really boring. I also prefer to use lean meats such as chicken breast and pork loin as they are obviously healthier, and try to alternate the meats everyday. I'll also do one fish day and one meatless day just to give our livers a break hahaha. 


Hokkien Mee. Incredibly easy to cook. Pork lard gives a really distinctive flavour to the dish which is what all dai chao (hawker stalls) use but I didn't have any and wasn't bothered looking for it anyway. In my opinion it still tasted good without it. No recipe for this because I skimmed through a few online recipes and winged it. I also substituted/cut out a few other ingredients as I didn't have it and it worked fine for me.



Sweet and sour pork. The pork tasted really good when it was freshly fried, crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, but the moment it gets tossed in the sauce everything became a soggy mess :( so I won't recommend this recipe. I didn't quite like the sauce too.



This was the meatless day. Ok technically not 100% meatless since I used fishcake but at least it's not chicken or pork. On top is steamed eggs with salted duck egg and century egg. Wow, I just used the word 'egg' 3 times in a sentence wtf. Super simple but easy to ruin too. I overcooked the eggs slightly, you can tell from the sides that's bubbly and shrinking. Ugh so ugly, sorry I am fussy with my food. The bottom's stir fried french beans with fish cake and XO sauce which was sitting in my fridge for a while already. Guess what? The XO sauce was actually expired wtf hahahaha. But it says "Best Before" not "Use Before" so technically it's ok for consumption. Me being able to blog about this now is a testament to my theory.


Crispy skin salmon, grilled asparagus and potato salad. I found these purple potatoes in the market and was really curious about them so decided to give them a go. These aren't sweet potatoes, they're your regular waxy/starchy potatoes (Holland shu, in Cantonese) but purple. They taste more 'earthy'. Other than that, nothing special about them. 


One of my favourite chicken breast dish, 3 cups chicken. I never knew chicken breast could taste so damn good until I cooked this dish. Breast cooked well are a lot more delicious than any chicken leg in my opinion. If cooked well, they are meaty, juicy and tender. Overcooked and you'll get some stringy, dry crap.


Jap Chae - this is a Korean noodle dish which is super unhealthy if you eat outside because they are literally soaked in an insane amount of soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. When I made this I thought I've put in a scary amount of soy, sugar and oil but somehow I found the taste to be so bland if compared to the ones served in a Korean restaurant. 


Oh this one isn't dinner obviously wtf. It's one of my favourite breakfasts, one which I don't mind eating everyday. I've never had avocado before until last year. I don't really eat it on it's own as they are quite rich and creamy. I love them with toast and here I have pumpkin seed toast with Vegemite spread thinly, topped with avocado. A squeeze of lemon and some cracked black pepper to balance the flavour. And of course I can never go a day without my white coffee.


So what do we do after being so kuai and eat home every night?


Break loose (the wallet and belt wtf) and eat out of course hahahah.



Brunch at Fifty Acres in Richmond. Have seen friendlier waitresses but the food and environment's nice. Don't exactly remember what I had but the main thing was pumpkin pancakes, orange segments, walnuts, maples syrup, crispy bacon and that orange-flavoured quenelle of I-don't-rmb stuff. At the back's Wk's Fifty Acres Breakfast which is boring and not pretty wtf. Very generous portions and good coffee.


Brekkie with Michelle at Ora Cafe in Kew. I had the prawn toast (the piece of toast with lots of sesame seed) with whipped avocado, salad and a poached egg. I've never had a prawn toast before and Michelle said it's a very common yumcha/dimsum dish. Honestly, either I'm to fixed with my usual siu mai and har gao or I live in a coconut, I've never seen it before! Anyway, I quite enjoyed the prawn toast and will definitely try it the next time I have dim sum.


Ok now time to stretch your neck a bit.


Hahaha. I thought my picture editor had rotated the picture but it didn't. Whatever lah you get the picture. Just incase people forget how I look like since I haven't posted much pictures of my face. My blog has been all about food, food and food. Anybody like my new glasses? 8) They are super awesome and I love them. I've never gotten so many compliments and attention from getting a new pair of glasses, so happy I didn't pay so much for nothing hahaha. I walked into the store intending to get Ray Bans but of course being a sales rep doing his job he has to upsell, he had me try on this Tom Ford pair and the moment I put it on and looked in the mirror I knew this was The One. It's just how glasses work, you either like it or hate it, you'll know immediately if it's the right one. Of course this is 2 times the price of a Ray Ban T_T sales people are so kns. Anyway the guy who served me wasn't just a sales rep, he's the store manager, no wonder so damn good at selling la.


Ok time to go but here's something that got me LOL yesterday.


That last comment LMAO.


Be First to Post Comment !