First bake of 2019!
Loving the simplicity and rustic look of this free-form pie! It’s literally fruits and pie crust. So simple yet so tasty 😋 Peaches were harvested from the garden. So many of them had holes with a bit of bugs in them, but at least I know they’re free of pesticide. This year if I can be bothered I might do the Malaysian aunty thing - wrap them in brown paper bags 😆
The recipe I used is from here - although as usual, I made changes to adapt.
The recipe I used is from here - although as usual, I made changes to adapt.
Flaky pie dough recipe
Link to recipe has an instructional video which is informative and easy to follow.
112g plain flour (or a mix of whole wheat pastry and plain around 7:3 ratio)
1/2tbsp caster sugar
1/2tsp salt
112g cold butter, cut into roughly 1.5cm cubes
57g cold water
Whisk flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Grabbing onto some flour with fingers, smash the butter cubes flat. Repeat until all cubes are smashed. No need to rub, we don't want breadcrumb texture. The butter chunks must be visible. Stir in water, gently knead until the dough comes together into a shaggy ball. If the dough feels too soft and sticky, refrigerate until colder. It should be 18 - 21c degrees, overworking will warm the dough.
On a generously floured surface, roll dough into a 5 x 7.5" rectangle. Fold the dough in half bring the shorter ends together, then repeat. It's like folding an A4 paper into a quarter of its size. Then roll into a round shape, roughly 14". Dust off any excess flour. Transfer onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.
Peach filling
I did not follow the recipe exactly (mostly because I forgot the tapioca starch step and I didn't have rum) but I can imagine it'll be just as tasty if not better!
350g peaches, cut into 1/2" wedges
1tbsp caster sugar
Preheat oven to 200c degrees. Remove pie dough from the fridge so that it will soften a little before using. Leave it on the counter while you prepare the peaches. Dry peaches as much as possible, then arrange onto the pie dough, starting from the middle, leaving about 2inches border from the edge of the dough. Cut slits in the border from peaches to the edge, spaced around 5 inches apart. Fold each segment of dough over peach, ensuring they overlap. Refrigerate the pie while preparing the egg wash.
Egg wash
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1tbsp cream
1/8tsp salt
Whisk everything together until runny. Brush onto pie dough evenly ensuring all surfaces, edges and crevice are covered.
Finishing
1tsp apricot jam warmed in the microwave then mixed with 1tsp water
Bake the pie in the middle rack for 25-30 minutes. 5-10 minutes before finishing brush on apricot jam mixture onto the peaches. This will give a shiny, juicy appearance. Let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment