Harmony Test

on
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
Went to see the GP for my routine check 2 days ago. The last time we spoke, he told me I'll need to do a genetic screening next. The one where they check for conditions like Down Syndrome and he said to go back to him when I'm around 10ish weeks onwards. So when I went back to see him I repeated what he told me. He had this confused silence for 5 seconds and I had to then quickly add "I'm pregnant".

Do bulk bill places really suck this much? Is it that difficult to look into a patient's history before asking "What can I do for you today?"? Surely whatever's discussed in previous appointment is recorded in the computer or somewhere?

Anyway. I was then given a referral letter to do a blood test. On the letter it says 'Harmony Test'. They have an in-house pathology lab so I could do it on the spot. Great.

After about 20 minutes wait my number was called. I happeend to be the last patient before the pathologist closes for lunch. Lucky last.

She took my referral letter and saw what test I needed to do and then told me it'll cost me $400, and asked "Did you know that?".

I sort of gave a sarcastic chuckle "Now I know"

If Sara had not told me that all tests and ultrasounds are not covered apart from the dating scan, I wouldn't have known this test actually will cost this much. I was a little surprised when the GP mentioned nothing about the price and just gave me the referral as if it's a compulsory thing to do and of course I was sort of hoping Sara was wrong. Alas she was completely right, of course she would be. She's had two children. Pfft. 

Nevermind the price. I know it's something I wanted to do anyway so I agreed to proceed. The pathologist then mentioned something about 1st trimester screening. I told her I did have my blood tested to confirm the pregnancy followed by a dating scan, I asked if those are 1st trimester screening. She said they're not. It's a different type of screening which costs extra but much lesser than the Harmony, and is partially covered by Medicare. There is also a blood test involved plus an ultrasound. (Upon researching I later learned this is most likely called the Nuchal Translucency test)

I was a little puzzled as to why this wasn't mentioned by the GP if it is an option? The pathologist then clarified that the Harmony is a very accurate, in depth test which is why it costs more. 

I couldn't be bothered to get nothing done after having waited for cumulatively close to 2 hours just for a 5 minutes chat, referral from the doctor and getting into the pathology room. If I chose not to do the Harmony test that day and ask for the 1st trimester screen I'll have to now wait to see the GP again to get a different type of referral, wait again to do a bloodtest, and I'll have to book a time to do the ultrasound another day because it can only be done elsewhere. 

So $430 swiped off my credit card and 2 vials of blood painfully drawn from me later, I was finally done for the day. I'm guessing my next step would be the 12 weeks ultrasound. Is it a nuchal translucency ultrasound though? I sure hope it is because apparently The Harmony will not be able to pick up physical abnormalities in other areas which an ultrasound has a higher chance to.

Also while in the GP's room he asked if I have heard from the hospital of my choice and I told him strangely no. The referral was supposedly faxed about 3 weeks ago and technically I should receive a letter in the mail by now (I did in the last pregnancy which unfortunately I didn't manage to make it). He said he would fax it again that day.

I emailed the hospital to confirm if they have received anything when I got home that day. Got a reply today confirming they did receive my referral, ON MONDAY. Which means whatever the GP faxed 3 weeks ago didn't go through -_- Trying not to get frustrated with this medical centre is proving to be quite a difficult task. 

Complaints aside I'm starting to feel less tired, exhausted, dizzy and sick. Not that I have a lot of these symptoms, they usually come and go, one symptom at a time. I'm regaining my appetite, which is great. I can't tell if I'm putting on weight on my waist or it's my expanding womb. I can now only comfortably fit into 1 pair of jeans, a knit skirt, and sweatpants. Or just my underwear haha.


Be First to Post Comment !