Open strings

on
Wednesday, October 9, 2019


I can’t even remember when I stopped playing. This may sound dramatic but it gives me bittersweet memories. The kind you don’t wish to talk about to preserve the good and isolate the bad. 

I’ve had this violin for about 13 years, used maybe 6-7 years. Got it when I was in uni, it was everything to me. 

This was in its case, which was covered in dust and mostly cobwebs. Even dead bugs hanging from the web. The case has seen better days. One of the zipper sliders is broken. The plastic which attaches the shoulder strap is broken. The storage compartment’s zipper is broken. Everything seems to be falling apart and yet the violin seems unchanged since the last time I used it. 

The strings were fine, the pegs did not loosen. The strings were only maybe a tone out. With a bit of rosin to the bow and tuning, it sounded just like how it used to be. Maybe louder than I remember. Or maybe it’s just been so long. 

Of course, my intonation was all over the place. It’ll take me a while to get comfortable with my grip on both hands but I managed first position alright. My bow was in the right place and string crossing wasn’t a struggle. 

Strangely, I find it much more peaceful and enjoyable to play despite being out of touch. Much more enjoyable than I can remember. Is it because there isn’t any exams to prepare for? No one’s expectations to meet but my own? No deadline to work towards?

Who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️ I enjoyed it and I look forward to doing it again tomorrow. 

I had to stop because my fingers were hurting and I could feel tension building up in my neck and shoulders.  
Be First to Post Comment !