Ee Von's Guide To Getting Gifts for Ee Von

on
Monday, December 14, 2009
HAHAHAHA WHAT A STUPID TITLE! But just read on for the heck of knowing what are things that won't be a waste of money when thinking of getting stuffs for me, ok? Let me just warn you it's kinda wordy cos I give very detailed reasons of liking them as gifts.

1. Cosmetics
I won't deny that I personally prefer higher end stuffs than regular drugstore ones cos I'm materialistic like that. My ultimate love is of course for MAC and NARS which I don't own many cos they're not cheap at all. I also do like Stila, Make Up For Ever and Benefit. As for drugstore brands, I'm more into stuffs by Revlon, Rimmel and NYX but I do own a few things from other brands as well cos I initially only wanted to try them out. I'm not saying all, but every cent is worth it when you're getting something from the higher end brands.  Better quality, better colour variety to choose from and better packaging. And that's why I always end up getting more expensive stuffs eventhough Watsons and Guardian do sell things that works just as well. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just my notion about these things. But seriously, I'll be really happy to receive a makeup product as a gift whether or not it's high end or drugstore. But please bear in mind that makeup products are not things that I can keep cos eventually, they'll expire and I will have to get rid of them. I don't like giving makeup products as gifts only because of this reason but if you think it's ok, I'm more than glad to receive =D

2. Books
Just because I'd love to read something nice and I'd love to not have to lose my grasp on the English language! Lol. I don't speak too much of English cos at home, we don't communicate in English except for sarcastic purposes. When with friends, I usually use Manglish. And since I'm done with studies and haven't been writing and reading in a while, my grammar and everything to do with the language is seriously deteriorating! I don't have a specific genre that I always go for cos what I always do when I want to get a book is google what's bestselling in the world now. Either that, or I take note when people say they like a certain book. I most likely would get it only because I've heard people saying it's good. I do chicklits but sometimes I find chicklits kinda pointless, they're most of the time the same. I'd love to read things that are inspirational, things that are beautiful, things that are not the usual kind. Things that you know, make it so special that they sell like hot cakes. Not so much into fantasy stuffs though. Books are great gifts cos they won't expire, and they are meaningful. You can even leave a handwritten note in it so I will never ever forget that that book was a gift! I don't own many books so don't worry about getting a book that I already have. You can always check out the "Now Reading" column.

3. Fragrance/Body Spray/Body Mist
I'm not so much of a body spray/body mist kinda person but I have always wanted to try. As for the scent I go for when choosing a perfume, it is usually fruity, not overpowering-ly sweet and a subtle floral scent that gives a kind of identity. For example, for fruity/sweet goodness I'd go for my Escada Ocean Lounge (used to be Sunset Heat). It has got the perfect fruit/sweet scent. I hate DKNY's Be Delicious btw. Jennifer Lopez also has a sweet scented one but it smelled kinda cheap so I didn't get it. Britney Spears has one too but its too sickly sweet. And as for a subtle perfume scent which gives a kinda identity, I love Lancome's Miracle Magic, Dior Addict 2 and Gucci Envy Me. I hate strong, musky scents. Honestly, I'm not good at describing perfume scents but I can tell you I don't like CK Eternity. I know some people think that fragrance is something that's kinda personal as a gift but I am personally quite flexible with gifts; as long as it's something for me I'll be glad to accept! But again, like I said, it'd better be something I like other wise it's gonna be a waste of money.

4. Art Supplies


I haven't been involved in anything to do with art until recently I got hooked into makeup. And the reason I love makeup is not mainly because I have a lot of flaws or imperfections to hide (although I do have lots of flaws and imperfections to hide) but I simply love the art of makeup and also applying makeup! After all these years, I have never fell out of love with colours. Whenever I walk into an art supply store I always get fascinated and excited. Whenever I walk into a shop full of colours for example the place in Subang Parade which teaches people how to knit, it's full of colourful yarns and threads and whatnot, I get fascinated. Whenever I walk into a professional cosmetics store, I get fascinated with all the different eye shadow colours that's displayed. I have always wanna go back to learning art. I was in an art school for more than 10 years and I've always loved water colour. I have always wanted to learn oil painting too.Arghh there are so many things I want to learn. I just don't wanna lose my touch with art.

5. Fancy Paper Stuffs and Stationery

 

And that includes fancy agendas, diaries, planners, notepads - as long as they're papers. I love stuffs from Smiggles and kikki.K. Those are the only two that I know of. There's one paper shop that sells lots of great stuffs in Chapel Street but I don't know the name. I love crafty and artsy fartsy stuffs but honestly, I'm not crafty and creative at all. I only like to use or keep them cos looking at them just makes me happy.



6. Food
A year before last, Esther bought me a few packets of Pocky along with some other things for my birthday just because a few days ago I mentioned I love Pocky. So yes, I'm in love with food; junk or not. Gyu tan don (which somebody's bringing back mmm!), Japanese snacks, Japanese food, sushi, sashimi, Shanghai food, ribs, seafood, Italian, Mexican, Spanish... and these are only a few of it. Of course, I also love hawker stalls' food like wantan mee, assam laksa, curry laksa etc etc. What I mean is, treating me meals are great ways as a gift too but again, it's not something I can keep la. I'll most likely write a post about it in my blog and that's probably the only way to remind me of it. But rest assure, I love food! OH MY GOD HOW CAN I FORGET DESSERTS! Lol I still remember when I was at Melbourne, no matter how much I have stuffed myself for lunch or dinner (no breakfast cos we always sleep through it wtf), I always always always have a room for dessert! I get super happy and excited when someone suggests to have dessert! Hee hee. They say I have a 'separated stomache only for desserts' ahahaha. Yam Milk Bubble Tea, Max Brenner, Harajuku Crepe...

7. Cash... or gift cards

Apart from non-monetary gifts, I appreciate 'ang pow's too! It's the best gift cos then I get to use the money to get things that I really like. Other than that, gift cards are great gifts too! For those of you who doesn't know what a gift card is, it basically looks like a credit card but instead of a bank's logo, it has logos of a certain retailer, mall or store for example, MAC. I can't remember exactly how it works since I've only seen it once in a post office in Melbourne, which got me really shocked cos I've never seen such thing as a giftcard before. But basically, there's money inside depending on how much the person has gotten/paid for. So you basically can use the card to 'redeem' stuffs using that amount of money credited into the card! Isn't this the best gift ever?? I know, to some people it may seem like a bloody lazy and insensitive and unthoughtful way of giving gifts but I personally find giftcards a great way to give gifts. At least, that's for me. Instead of risking getting things that I won't like, why not give a giftcard so I can buy things I like within the budget? A lot of times I (and I know many people too) face situations of not knowing what to get someone for their birthday cos first there is a budget, second dunno what he/she likes, third if buy something dunno if he/she will like it. A gift card solves the problem. But sadly, I don't think gift cards are available in Malaysia =( But if you're from Australia, you can get me giftcards cos I visit Melbourne at least once a year! =D I think I also saw that a gift card lasts for about a year or so, if I'm not wrong.

And at this point, I got stucked thinking of what else to put so I guess, there're only 7 things. Here are some things that I don't think are suitable as a gift for me and my reasons to it:

1. Shoes, Clothes and Bags - Unless you know my exact size and you know the kind I like.

2. Jewelries and accesories - Just because I am not a fan of it and I don't like to attract thieves as well. I only wear things that mean a lot to me like my gold necklace given to me by my grandma for my 21st b'day and Wk and I's 4th year anniversary ring. Apart from these two, I pretty much don't wear any kind of jewelry As for accesories, again, unless you know the kind I like.

3. Soft toys - Cos my bed is damn small 'nuff said.


The end!

Walao damn long lol! But yeah. Do take note that this is only a guide, not my wishlist. I have a never ending wishlist and some are things that nobody is capable of giving like getting accepted by Uni of Melbourne, getting a better violin etc. I hope this guide is a good one =)

Be First to Post Comment !