alla Carbonara

on
Friday, May 20, 2011
19/5/11 - Bacon and Cheese Pasta

I would love to call this Carbonara but really, an authentic Italian Carbonara sauce isn't made this way. If you do not already know, I LOVE my plate of Carbonara. Everywhere I go, if I see a Carbonara in the menu I would give it a go. So far, the one served in Delicious has been my favourite. That being said, it probably isn't the authentic Italian Carbonara cos it tastes uber creamy/milky and there're oyster mushrooms in it. 

After researching for the best Carbonara recipe for the past few weeks, I've learned that the authentic Italian Carbonara doesn't have mushrooms or cream AT ALL in its pasta. Its basically just eggs and guanciale, which is something like bacon but isn't smoked like bacon. Wanna know which part of a pig a guanciale is made of? The cheeks, I'm serious. But apparently it tastes really good. So anyway, the Carbonara that most people know including you and I, is basically an Americanized version with the addition of mushrooms and cream be it pure cream, heavy cream, thickened cream, cream cheese or mascarpone cheese. Some even have milk.

So for the authentic Italian Carbonara sauce, the sauce is basically only made of uncooked beaten eggs (more often, just the yolks) mixed with pecorino romano (no, this is not parmesan although it could look and smell like one) and black pepper. You basically cook your pasta and meat first, then mix both together and while it's still hot, you pour in the eggs and cheese mixture and quickly stir to prevent the eggs from curdling. The heat will cook up the eggs so it is edible.

For years I've been eating one of my favourite plate of pasta without knowing how ridiculously easy and it is to make it. I've made Carbonara 3 times now and I will still continue making to find out the best combination of cheese and cream. I've never tried making the authentic version of the Italian Carbonara cos I don't think I will like it. I love my Carbonara super creamy, cheesey and you might as well say fattening. Its all those things which conquer my appetite.

---

No news from the immigration yet regarding my application. I hope I can get an answer latest by next week. I'm starting school in less than 3 weeks together with local Australians. Nervous? Hell yeah. I hate starting again. Whatmore, this time there won't be Malaysians or even Asians around. And I'm doing something I have absolutely no clue about.
Be First to Post Comment !
jasmine said...

hi ee von,
just curious as to what course you will be taking in Melbourne, w/o any other m'Sians/asians around? hrmm..and, are you waiting for your student visa?
my gosh, IMMi takes forever and longer;) but all my best, hope it wil be soon!! xx

Ee Von said...

hi jasmine! i'm sorry but at the moment i don't feel like telling people what i'm studying. if you have to know, it has nothing to do with music, which used to be a career in m'sia and what i did in uni. i hope you can understand! surprisingly, there're a couple of asians in my class and there's one i can talk comfortably to :) yup waiting is a pain in the butt but i guess if you submit everything they need asap, it won't take too long. good luck to you! what are you going to study here?