Story of peanut butter and I

on
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Last weekend was spent being as couch-ridden as a couch potato. I was very unfortunately down with the flu. I like to rest on my couch more than my bed just because my couch is near the balcony where we like to keep the sliding door wide open so we get lots of light and air. It just feels a lot better than breathing in all the 'sick air'. So that's why it's couch-ridden instead of you know, bedridden.

Anyway when I was younger I was taught that 'flu' is runny nose. Lol of course it's not. Flu stands for influenza, which is caused by a type of virus that comes in specific season - according to information on the net, it's late fall to spring. Common symptoms include severe headache (hate hate hate), exhaustion, muscle aches and fever - exactly what I had. The virus spreads really easily and it is really common. The doctor told me there has been many cases already this time around and it's easy to get it when your immune system is weakened - happens usually when you're stressed because it depletes Vitamin C which helps in boosting your immune system. Smoking does it too.

I went to school yesterday eventhough I wasn't feeling completely alright but because I had to get some things settled in school I dragged myself out anyway. I requested for early leave because I decided to see a doctor later that afternoon, which was how I found out I had this viral infection but the thing is it was already my 4th day with it, I wasn't feeling as crappy anymore. I just went to the doctor for a peace of mind and I wanted to get the doctor's prescription for some drug anyway. 

The doctor said it is highly contagious and advised me to stay home and rest for a few days until I am completely recovered before I go out and see the world. So he gave me 3 days sick leave WOHOOO! And when I was at school earlier one of the teachers told me "Hmm let's hope it's not contagious" which I actually took offence at at first because hey, I'm sick here instead of showing concern you're telling me about being contagious? Ugh. But oops. Looks like I am contagious hahah.

And the funny thing is for the past few days of being sick I was guessing that it's a mild food poisoning eventhough there's no vomiting and diarrhea... Ok truth is I've been eating expired peanut butter. I know, people are going to tell me "WTF why do you eat expired food?!" I tell you why!

There's a jar of crunchy peanut butter which is expired, and a jar of smooth peanut butter which is not expired. I hate smooth peanut butter, only bought it for baking purposes but I loooove my peanut butter! So I decided to eat the expired one. Also because I have this mindset that if it says "Best Before", means it's ok to eat after the expiry date. If it's "Use Before" like milk or cream, means it's NOT ok to eat after the expiry date.

So for the past few days I was mentally beating myself thinking that it's the PB. After visiting the doctor's yesterday, looks like it's not the PB's fault :)

Anywaaaaay. I've already thrown that expired PB out already before anybody come telling me I shouldn't eat expired food.

Yesterday while we were doing some Asian grocery shopping, I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some Teluk Intan Heong Peng!

Let's hope it's good! I super hate heong peng(s?) that are soft.

When we saw the biscuits Wk immediately asked me hesitantly how I usually eat them. I looked at him and said "On it's own lah what else" and he told me he used to eat it with guess what?

CONDENSED MILK! 

Ew?? Heong peng is sweet on its own I don't understand how could people eat it with condensed milk lor! But anyway he insisted to get a can of condensed milk so that he can eat with it or he won't buy the heong peng wtfffff.

These are apparently the famous Apple Strudel from Perth!

The first apple strudel I've tried was from Frutti, it's a cafe in Panmour area, near Delta tuition centre. Students always hang out around there before/after or even during (ponteng) class. Speaking from experience hahahaa.  They claimed their apple strudel was from Australia but back then I didn't know what an apple strudel was and I didn't give a shit so I just tried. It was disgusting. The pastry was soggy, the custard was too much and bleghh, didn't taste any apples. That was probably the first and last I've ever had apple strudels.

On Monday Kai Mun gave us this long block of apple strudel which he brought back all the way from Perth when he traveled there. It is apparently really really famous and good, from this pastry shop called Corica. Tried it the moment he brought back and at that time I was actually still pretty sick to be eating dessert but from the looks of it, I couldn't resist. I had to have a slice. It was so good! I can imagine it being 10 times nicer if we could eat it fresh.

There's a good balance of custard and pastry. The custard is really good, it's what a good custard should taste or smell like. The level of sweetness is just nice. Pastry was not crunchy anymore since it's not fresh but it's still nice and light, not soggy! My favourite part? The fine sugar crusted layer of pastry at the top. Overall everything was just a pleasure to eat. You take a mouthful but everything's light and fragrant, not cloyingly sweet or dense.
Be First to Post Comment !