I was really craving some crepes the other night (salted caramel and almonds in particular - BEST coombination everrrr) and passed by Le Petit Creperie. There was a long queue there and that can only mean one thing: Long queue + stressed French girl trying to churn out crepes = lousy crepes. True story. To be honest, sometimes even if it's not busy, their crepes can taste pretty shitty. It really depends on the person making it/the batter that day.
Then I had a lightbulb moment. Why not make my own crepes at home? That way I can have as much as I want, and if it's not perfect at least I didn't pay for shitty crepes and I won't complain my ass off. Off we went to Coles to get some butter, cream and milk.
For the salted caramel, I used Browneyedbaker's. She's my go-to whenever I needed my sweet fix and I can't be bothered paying for shitty ones but I can be bothered making myself. Her recipes so far have never failed to impress.
For the crepe recipe, I used Allrecipe's. It was a random find, but a pretty good one I'd say. The recipe said to use a hand mixer. I wasn't bothered to take them out and plug them in, so I whisked it with a kitchen whisk. The mixture was lumpy as hell so I had to strain it once to get a smooth batter. I tried making this again with a hand mixer and wth, there were still lumps when I strained it. My French colleague Lisa made crepes and brought to work once and they were delicious. She suggested letting the batter rest, which I did the second time round but I don't know what difference it actually made. With the melted butter, I also used vegetable oil the second time round as a substitute and it worked the same. Which is great because then you can save the trouble of meting the butter.
I like my almonds slightly over toasted/browned.
Bowl and spoonful of goodness mmm... I can eat this with ANYTHING.
We asked our European housemates how are crepes normally sold in Europe. And this was what they did!
Before this I used to fold them into quarters (or one eights) like 'kueh kapit', but a very soft one haha.
By the way crepe in Europe is pronounced like CRAP, not CRAY-P.
This is super easy to prepare and super delicious! Salted caramel + almond = Match made in heaven!
Next time I'll try wrapping ham, cheese and tomato in it. These thin pancakes are so versatile!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment