Week 12

on
Monday, October 14, 2019
So the Harmony test results came back good. Low probability on the 3 most common chromosome abnormalities. I then asked doc about ultrasound at 12 weeks and he said no? Next ultrasound will not be until 20 weeks. 

😟 

Really? The health of baby is that easily determined by just one blood test??

I asked about the first trimester screening and he said the Harmony test pretty much supersedes it because it’s more accurate (his words, not mine). 

From what I’ve read the test is not diagnostic. It calculates the probability it doesn’t diagnose whether or not the fetus has problems. 

What baffles me is why didn’t I get the choice to do the screen first before going for a $430 test which the government does not cover. It’s not as if I fall under the high risk category (age 35 and above). I also read somewhere which mentions an ultrasound is still recommended to look for other physical abnormalities which the test will not be able to detect. 

Anyway, I asked him if its possible if I wanted to do an ultrasound before 20 weeks. He asked for what reason. 

I blurted because I don’t feel pregnant? 

He went on and explained again usually there’s only a dating scan (which I did at 6 weeks) and next scan will be at 20 weeks to check for fetal physical development. The Harmony test is a comprehensive test with accurate results to confirm the pregnancy. 

I said fine then I’ll wait until 20 weeks. He then proceeded to write me a referral for an ultrasound anyway for my “peace of mind”. 

😀😀

I may come across super paranoid but after going through a miscarriage it’s almost impossible to NOT overthink and be worried 24/7. Every single day I check my underwear to make sure I have no spotting. Every single day I feel my boobs to make sure they are still “different”. Every single day I weigh myself and I look at my belly in the mirror. Did I gain weight or is this the pregnancy? 

I’d also really like another ultrasound so that if we do decide to announce at least there’s a good photo?? What a superficial reason but the last ultrasound we did we could barely see anything. Which is not surprising since it was only 6 weeks! And the picture was taken with a mobile phone -.- 

Usually a dating scan is done towards the end of first trimester but because I’ve had a miscarriage before the doctor ordered one early on (6 weeks) to confirm the viability of the pregnancy. 

P.S. The Harmony test lets you know the baby’s gender. Yes, we know what we’re having. I can’t believe I’ve been wrong. Whatever baby is, I just hope for a healthy pregnancy and baby. 

P.P.S. Wk asks if I’m excited. Can’t say I am to be honest. At least not until this next ultrasound confirms baby is ok. This Friday is the day. 
Be First to Post Comment !